FREE Community Recycling Events on Vancouver Island April May 2014

FREE Community Recycling Events on Vancouver Island April May 2014. I'm a long-time supporter of recycling (and composting) and was an original dumpster-diver at the University of Victoria when the first paper recycling program was being established over 40 years ago.  I've written about my soft plastic recycling efforts--Beyond the Blue Box, Take Recycling to the Next Level.  Island Return-It depots have organized FREE community Recycling … [Read more...]

Firewall by Target Theatre at Belfry Festival SPARK Festival 2014. A review.

Firewall by Target Theatre at Belfry Festival SPARK Festival 2014. A review. My father, who would have been 93 this year, had an email address before I did.  I was on Twitter before either of my two sons (in their twenties) and I’ll be 60 this year.  My point, and more importantly, the point of Target Theatre’s Firewall, currently at the Belfry Theatre’s SPARK Festival (until March 23rd)—technology knows no age-barrier. People’s desire to … [Read more...]

Joan by Theatre SKAM. April 17-20, 2014. A preview.

Joan by Theatre SKAM. April 17-20, 2014. A preview. Theatre SKAM’s Joan brings the memory of local arts maven Joan Mans to the Metro Studio Theatre stage I remember the first time I met Joan Mans--it was in Market Square for Jazz Fest. She stopped as I was seated on a bench and regaled me with stories of dancing and walking home from Swan's at closing time (in the wee hours of the morning-alone-at 80). Then, I would run into her with … [Read more...]

Call for Victoria’s Second Youth Poet Laureate. Deadline November 25 2013

Did you know that the City of Victoria is the first city in Canada to have a Youth Poet Laureate?  Aysia Law, a current UVic creative writing student, was chosen in January 2013 to represent Victoria.  She was active in the community, performing at Pop-Up Poetry events in April to celebrate National Poetry Month, and at council meetings and Culture Days events, as well as organizing a Diversity Slam this past summer. Photo: City of … [Read more...]

Derwin Blanshard Season 2 Episode 2 Sunday October 27th 2013

Derwin Blanshard's Extremely Classy Sunday Evening Programme, launched in the fall of 2012, returns for the 2nd episode of Season Two. This hilarious post-modern take on the classic TV talk/variety show of the 1950s features - YOU - as a "live" studio audience, plus a plethora of guests drawn from politics, the arts, and quirky pop culture, as well as a recurring cast comprised of Victoria's finest thespians, improvisers and comedians. Join … [Read more...]

Victoria Fringe Festival 2013 – my “local” picks

When it comes to the Victoria Fringe, I’m a mere baby fringer. It wasn’t until the 20th anniversary in 2006 that I really got involved in this two week long festival of alternative live performance.  I love the buzz, and hanging out with fellow volunteers, performers and like-minded “fringe addicts”.  I see between 30 and 40 shows at the Victoria Fringe, and another 50 – 60 shows during the year.  Here are my “local” picks based on performances … [Read more...]

Sip and Savour August 24, 2013 in Sidney BC

THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO FEBRUARY 2014. Stay tuned for more details. Sip and Savour August 24, 2013 in Sidney BC in conjunction with the North Saanich Flavour Trail (August 23-25). It's the time of the year to partake of all the bounty our wonderful region has to offer. New this year, TIDES Group has created Sip and Savour at the Mary Winspear Centre. Featuring wines and cider by de Vine Vineyard, Muse Winery, Dragonfly Hill … [Read more...]

Mustard Seed’s Fair Start School Supply Program accepting donations

Have you ever had to shop for school supplies? For most families, it's a significant expense as they prepare for the return to school. For some families, already feeling financial pressure, it's one more thing they cannot reasonably afford.  The Mustard Seed's Fair Start School Supply Program provides support with packages of school supplies. Started 16 years ago by Linda Matthews and Vera Webb, and carried on by a team of staff and volunteers … [Read more...]

Victoria’s Youth Poet Laureate Launches Diversity Slam August 19 2013

Victoria's Youth Poet Laureate launches Diversity Slam August 19, 2013. It's only in the past few years that I've come to know anything at all about the slam poetry "scene", which in Victoria BC is extremely vibrant and well-attended. It was by happenstance that I came to be seated at my first event in January 2011 and was introduced to Jeremy Loveday, who was instrumental in lobbying the city of Victoria to create the Youth Poet Laureate … [Read more...]

When I’m 64. Playreading August 26th 2013

First-time playwright, Comox resident JS Hill debuts When I’m 64 with a play reading Monday August 26th at Victoria’s Shakespeare by the Sea (Clover Point). Hill was invited by Robert Light, director of Shakespeare by the Sea.  “This is artists helping artists - our way of giving back to the community,” he said. Faced with a lack of roles for women of “a certain age” Hill began writing When I’m 64. Although based on situations and … [Read more...]