Music in the Park. The Rutledge Park Series 2013.

Music in the Park. The Rutledge Park Series 2013 (corner of Cloverdale and Inverness), Tuesdays in August, from 6 – 8pm. Free concerts for the entire family. Years ago when I lived just off Quadra, near the intersection of Cloverdale and Inverness, the area now occupied by RutledgePark was populated with houses that were past their prime.  The  district of Saanich has long had a policy of buying up properties in areas where they wish to … [Read more...]

Ross Bay Villa Grand Opening. August 4 2013.

ROSS BAY VILLA GRAND OPENING: On August 4, 2013 The Ross Bay Villa Society and TLC open the doors of this special historic house museum to the community for a lawn party, house tours and to celebrate 13 years of restoration. I've written before about the restoration of Ross Bay Villa. Here's an earlier post on the Oil Cloth Project from December 2011. Now, you can tour the house, and view the results of thirteen years of careful restoration … [Read more...]

Five Hole For Food Victoria – help the Mustard Seed Food Bank – Friday July 19th 2013

Join the team from Five Hole for Food (FHFF), this Friday July 19th at Saanich Plaza from 2 to 6pm, as they play Canada’s favourite pastime – road hockey - and raise donations of food and cash for Victoria’s Mustard Seed Food Bank. I first became aware of Five Hole for Food, founded in Vancouver in 2010, through my online social media connections, and am happy to lend my support to their ongoing efforts to raise awareness of, and support … [Read more...]

Theatre SKAM Bike Ride 2013

Theatre SKAM’s Bike Ride is a family-friendly mobile festival of performance along 4 kilometres of the Galloping Goose Trail, starting at Cecelia Ravine Park, July 6/7 and 13/14 in Victoria BC. I first met Matthew Payne, Artistic Director of Theatre SKAM in 2008 when he produced Schoolhouse Rocks at VISA (the Vancouver Island School of Art).  When he announced plans for Bike Ride (loosely based on idea by the Hive Collective in Vancouver), I … [Read more...]

From the Heart: enter into the journey of reconciliation. July 10 – 27th 2013.

I grew up in Ucluelet on the traditional lands of the Nuu-chah-nulth people, but it wasn’t until I was in Grade 5 or 6 that the first aboriginal students joined us at the local elementary school. The nearby residential school (called Christie or Kakawis) on MearesIsland was the last such school to close in BC in 1983.  So, why did I think it had closed when I was 11 or 12 (in the mid-60s)? Our settler’s memory can be very selective, even … [Read more...]

2nd Annual Touch a Truck fundraiser for Neuroblastoma Research, June 23 2013

What child doesn’t love to climb all over a firetruck or get behind the wheel of a dump truck? They’ll have that opportunity and more as Team 4 Hope hosts the 2nd Annual Touch a Truck for Pediactric Cancer Research on June 23rd, 2013 at Panorama Recreation Centre. Some of the vehicles include police cars, limousines, cement trucks, and excavators.  This fun-filled family-friendly afternoon includes other family activities and a BBQ.  Touch a … [Read more...]

Victoria’s First AfriCa Fest celebrates the 50th anniversary of the African Union

Did you know 2013 is the 50th anniversary of the African Union?  To celebrate, join members of the African, Caribbean and Créole communities for Victoria's first-ever AfriCa Fest, May 17th - 25th.  Free family-friendly activities will be centered around Centennial Square for the opening weekend May 17th - 19th and include musical performances, activities for children, exhibitions, and interactive games. … [Read more...]

The Museum Amplification Project, April 20th 2013

I don’t remember how or when I first learned of the Royal BC Museum’s Amplification Project (now in its second year and originally called Site and Sound), but I knew I wanted to experience it. Some of my favourite performers have been involved, and the styles of performance span the genres. This year’s event is scheduled for Saturday April 20th and tickets are available here. The Museum Amplification Project is curated by Chris O’Connor who … [Read more...]

Quadra Village Day 2013

It's time again for my neighbourhood's favourite event - Quadra Village Day 2013! This year we celebrate the 11th annual event, one planned and executed with an entirely volunteer-run planning committee and close to 100 event-day volunteers.  This vibrant diverse neighbourhood is proud to be "Building and Celebrating our Thriving Community". Thanks to generous sponsors and donors the event is entirely FREE - and that includes two breakfasts … [Read more...]

16th annual Victoria French Fest, March 7-10th, 2013

Centennial Square is the site of the 16th annual Victoria French Fest. Celebrate French culture and heritage March 7 - 10th, 2013 in Victoria BC with free events for children, drumming workshops, sugar shack, artisans marketplace, performances and more!  (Complete program guide -in French and English here). Most free events take place noon – 4 pm in the Square. The Festival opens Thursday March 7th with a mixer (le 5 à 7) at the Sticky … [Read more...]